Mononucleosis, also known as mono or the kissing disease, is a viral infection that can cause fatigue, sore throat, and swollen glands. If you’re experiencing symptoms of mono, it’s important to seek medical attention. NovaMed Urgent Care offers diagnostic and treatment services for mono, so you can get back to feeling your best.
What Is Mononucleosis?
Mononucleosis is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). It’s typically spread through saliva, which is why it’s often called the kissing disease. However, mono can also be spread through other types of close contact, such as sharing utensils or drinking glasses. When you feel like you need some tests for Mononucleosis, then you are in the right place in terms of NovaMed Urgent Care, where you can make an appointment and get the treatment.
Symptoms of Mono
Symptoms of mono can vary, but they often include:
- Sore throat
- Swollen glands in the neck, armpits, or groin
- Loss of appetite
- Swollen spleen
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to seek medical attention. Mono can cause serious complications if left untreated.
When you come to NovaMed Urgent Care for mono, our medical team will start by performing a physical exam and reviewing your medical history. We may also recommend additional diagnostic tests, such as:
- Blood tests: These can help us determine if you have mono by looking for antibodies to the Epstein-Barr virus in your blood.
- Monospot test: This is a quick blood test that can help diagnose mono by looking for specific antibodies to the virus.
- Liver function tests: Mono can cause liver inflammation, so we may recommend a liver function test to check for this.
Once we’ve diagnosed mono, we can move on to treatment. This treatment can be conducted at NovaMed Urgent Care in Chicago.
There’s no cure for mono, but treatment can help relieve symptoms and prevent complications. At NovaMed Urgent Care, we offer a range of treatments for mono, including:
- Rest: This is the most important part of treatment for mono. Your body needs time to recover, so it’s important to get plenty of rest and avoid strenuous activities.
- Pain relievers: Over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen can help relieve pain and reduce fever.
- Steroids: In some cases, we may prescribe steroids to help reduce inflammation and swelling.
- Antiviral medications: These can help reduce the severity and duration of mono, but they’re not always necessary.
When you come to NovaMed Urgent Care for mono, our medical team will work with you to develop a treatment plan that’s tailored to your needs and preferences. We’ll make sure you understand your treatment options and answer any questions you may have. The NovaMed Urgent Care team waiting for you and will gladly answer all of your questions.
According to this information
Mononucleosis can be a difficult and uncomfortable illness, but with the right treatment, you can recover quickly and get back to your normal routine. If you’re experiencing symptoms of mono, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention. NovaMed Urgent Care offers diagnostic and treatment services for mono, so you can get the care you need to feel better. Our medical team is here to help you every step of the way.